Metro Claremont, founded in 1941 as Metro, is the second oldest surviving club in Tasmania. Its formation came about through the hard work of Cyril Parks, Alec Stuart and Hugh Blackburn, dedicated followers of the "British Code" and keen to organise a side in New Town "Metropolitan" area. The name has no ties with the Hobart Metro bus service as some onlookers outside the game may think.
Many of their players in the early days were former students of the old Hobart Technical College, New Town (Known as New Town High School). Metro was formed out of two pre-war teams, Tech Old Boys and Metropolitan, both disbanded at the outbreak of WWII. Metro briefly reappeared after the war as "Old Tech Collegiate" but changed their name to Metro at the request of their chairman, Hugh Blackburn.
In 1948 the club won their first major honour when they captured the Falkinder Cup and continued their success in 1949 by winning the Southern Premier League. Along with arch rivals, Caledonian, Metro went on to dominate Southern soccer in the fifties, winning back to back Southern and State titles from 1950 to 1952.